<BGSOUND SRC="http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/5ae0eb53/bc/Music/Love+Is+Waiting+For+You.wma?bfoDtlBBOc0gsgjD" LOOP="infinite"> Prayers of a Dying Atheist

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

SPLIT THE DIFFERENCE

Due to a lot of memorable events, I forgot to mention that last October 18 I was able to watch The Libertines in Boston. I was able to have them sign my CD after they performed. Having no honest knowledge about the band, I couldn't really say if they're really good. Althought their roots come from a well supported Brti-American following (The Clash, The Strokes, The Sex Pistols) they insinuate a comfortable front with their borrowed arrangments, which I think they have what it takes to last for the next 3 contractual albums before they dwindle away to semi-hit wonders. Will they make a mark in garage music history before that happens i really don't know. What revolts me though is that before this band released their 2 full lengthed album, they kicked out their founding member and co-song writer due to drug overdose. Surely they'd learn from other stories that they could handle such an ordeal without kicking out such a vital member of the band.




Carlos Barat with Chinky Flip Gomez Rocking in Irving Plaza

oh, I watched Gomez. That puts a check mark on one of my goals in this trip. But I'll write 'bout that later on.


Last October 25, I woke up for a late lunch with Auntie (Lola) Grace in the UN. I was quite lucky that she was able to take me in since most of the world leaders, who usually have meetings there within the week, were not there hence less security measures by the guards. I was introduced as her son. A lil bit of catching up on the family new on her part over lunch. But the whole time we were talking I was just thinking 'bout how fun it would be to work there.

I walked her back to her office which was Mission for Chile office in front of the Katherin Hepburn Garden. Pretty. I met up with Sash 20 mins later after coming from her class. We headed back home, and while she took a nap I was browsing the web on personal interests and whatnots.

I came across a schedule for The Irving Plaza that moment and found out that one of my favorite bands in the world was playing for a 2 night event. Tickets cost $30 at the door. Sasha declined my invitation due to her class at 7pm. The band plays at 8pm. So i took her to her school then took a cab to Irving's after I bought an extra CD of Gomez in Times Square.

So here is my first credible live music review since I was physically there, particualarly for a popular band who has won the Mercury prize...

I waited for a good 30 mins for the doors to open. Die hard fans from different states have come over to New York to watch the show as well. Some of them I was able to talk to about the band. I introduced myself as somebody who flew all the way from the Philippines just to watch this band. There was a hint of truth in that if you think about it.

Apparently Iriving Plaza is one of the most world renowned musical venues in New York, aside from The Blue Note Jazz bar (which I have been to, but I'll talk bout that later on). Tight security met everyone at the entrace. Once inside I marvelled at the nice French like interiors clad with red carpeting, heavy set furniture, and mirror walls found in the lounge area. I had to check in my bag for a small sum. The place was huge and I didn't really find were the actual stage was until 10 minutes later when I followed the masses on the move.

The Stage was set like so: A huge 10X15 feet screen was placed in front of the stage as to prevent people from peering into the intsturments. On the screen histroic Steinberg Documentary Films from the 1920 were shown amidst the near pitch black area. You could buy drinks at the opposite end of the hallway. No seats, NO railings, free for all. Mind you I haven't eaten since luch with Auntie Grace so I was mad hungry for a bite of anything conceivably edible. (We) waited for a good 45 minutes before the opening band, Augie March played. This band from down under was alright for an opening. One particualar song called "Here come the night" gave me goosebumps. Nearly 300 people packed the place. It was when Gomez was on that more people started coming in.

Lights down, the spotlight on the Emcee, Gomez was introduced with much appreciation from the crowd. They're not what I expected them to look like. They actually looked...cool. Opening the set was "Bring It On". From then on I knew that this was worth my money. I was less that 5 feet away from band. I had the oppurtunity to take alot...as in alot of pictures. I couldn't really ##@@@@##$!!! The best part of it was that they certainly proved themselves to be better live performers than the average. Really, I think it wouldn't do justice for me to describe the performance, but I'll do my best. All of them are really talented, almost bordering wicked talent. I don't memorize all their names, but Ian, the vocalist, along with the lead guitarist fiddled with their effects like there was no tomorrow. Like it was their last gig. 50% of the time, they would be on their knees working on manual effects as their other free hand plucked vital notes. The drummer, Ole, was awesome. He kept on laughing and making taunts during the middle of songs. Not a single error on his part. The acoustic guitarist/keyboardist was the jolly one, always talking to the audience. He sometimes traded the bass for his acoustic. The bassist, Blackie, was steady most of the time taking a firm post by the drummer's side. It was an unbelievable experience singing along with them...I'd pinch myself a bit more if only I wasn't enjoying the songs too much. Carlo called me somewhere in the middle to hear the concert. Most of their selections came from the earlier albums rather form the Split the Difference album, which really worked for audience. Another noteable number they had was "Black eyed Dog" which was the only swayward song without any beat really. Most songs from this band are known to be very bluesy in upbeaten. Black Eyed Dog was served as a recess from all the jumping and shouting, quite strategic. By 12:45, the band said their goodbyes with a "last song". Get Myself arrested. Is this goodbye? I thought.

Gomez clear from the stage, the audience started and organized cheer of stomping and clapping for an encore. And Gomez delivered. They played 5 more songs, one of which made me cry. It was Carlo's call and my yearning for him and Chris, who dearly loved this band, even more than me, that made me cry. That song was "Rhythm and Blues Alibi". I closed my eyes and drowned myself into the live melody that filled the hallway so intimately. I felt the flush of blood up to my neck and the top of my cranium. I missed home that very moment. That may have been the first time in the whole month I've been away from there that ever happend. Happiness is nonsense when you're alone.

So they ended roundabout 1:30am. Ok. I was mention this in passing: I got 2 autographed CDs for Chris and Carlo. I was the only one who found the means of getting it. Others brought their CDs too. But they wondered how I got it after the show. Divine Providence rewarded me with an overheard conversation of 3 girls before the show that they were slated to meet the band. I followed them quitely to the backstage door. Using all my calculative skills of timing, I came up to them and gave an introduction. They offered to help me get the autograph, and that was it. I'm sure my brother and good friend back home would love me for getting it.

So there I was walking away from Iriving Plaza with gratefullness and gratitude towards the Almighty. A dark cold night it was. I bought an apple, a pack of strawberries and a bottled water to keep alive on my way home. With cold frosty mists emphasizing my every breath, I turned to 13th street and walked all the way to 63rd, home sweet home.

0 Prayers:

Post a Comment

<< Home